Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Another Weekend, Another Dive

Hey all!

First of all, today's my birthday!  I'm the big 20 now (even though it's not quite May 17 back home), and I'm going to enjoy being alive in my third decade in Australia!  I haven't properly celebrated my birthday on my birthday for a couple years now (the last two times were spent in a car), so it'll be good to have a proper birthday celebration.


Anyway, on to the festivities of the weekend.  Classes have been winding down, and I've been focusing on completing all my final assignments.  However, my friend Susan turned 21 on Friday, so we went out and celebrated at an Irish pub.  It was heaps of fun, everyone enjoyed sitting around having a beer or two.  That night I had my favorite beer in Australia to date:  Little Creatures.  It's brewed a couple kilometers away in Fitzroy, another suburb of Melbourne.  I know in the future that I'll be having another Little Creatures.



They looked exactly like this
On Sunday I made my way down to Mornington on the east side of Port Phillip to do some diving with the Melbourne Uni diving club.  The water was cold, 14 degrees C (right around 56 F) and by the time the dive ended I could barely use my hands from being so numb.  However, it was one of the coolest dives I've done so far.  We swam under a pier between all the columns.  It looked like a massive cathedral from 20 feet underwater.  There were schools of small fish everywhere, starfish littered the sea floor, and big pufferfish darted around the bottom of the large wooden posts.  Despite being so cold, it was a wonderful dive. 

I have one half week and one full week left.  It's going by so fast!  However, I have some plans in the making for a trip to Tasmania.  It should be really cool.  I'll keep you posted when the time gets near!

Cheers from this new 20 year old!
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment