Monday, May 23, 2011

College Day and Mannix vs. Mary's Day

Hey Everyone,

Friday was St. Mary's College Day!  College day is a celebration of everything awesome about living at St. Mary's.  Our college day was a blast.  We woke up at 7:30 for an early breakfast, followed by a phony debate between the staff and students on some trivial topic, which was quite funny.  We then ran around to several lectures on campus to obnoxiously sing our St. Mary's Chant.  After lunch we had an auction where people sold whatever they had laying around.  Some people sold themselves as "slaves" and others sold haircuts or t-shirts or whatever.  All the proceeds went to charity.

The afternoon was definitely the most fun.  We had huge inflatables with a slide, obstacle course, gladiator ring and moon bounce.  It was practical a carnival.  I still have rug burn from jumping down the slide and fighting my way through the obstacle course!

That evening we had mass for College Day.  I was asked to give a speech about why I love St. Mary's and I was happy that it went well.  I was a bit nervous beforehand, but once I got going the speech went well.

After a formal dinner we headed to the common room for a turn.  Boys wear red, girls wear blue.  I had a great getup, as you can see as I was hanging out with Aaron and Seamus.  After the turn we went out for a few drinks at Puggs, our favorite Irish pub.

Fast forward two days: Mannix vs. Mary's day on sunday.  The day is a sport competition between Monash University's Mannix College and our very own St. Mary's.  We met up with them to play Aussie rules football, basketball and netball (a variation of basketball).  I was happy to try a new sport and play footy, which was a blast.  Fortunately we won boys footy, but lost girls footy, netball and basketball.  We entertained the Mannix people in the afternoon by taking them to two of our favorite pubs, Turf and Puggs.  Everyone enjoyed meeting new people and getting a chance to mingle.  A busy weekend for sure!

I have four more days of classes left and then exam period.  I have 3 weeks until my first exam, so I will hopefully be doing some traveling in that time.  We'll see what the future holds!

Cheers,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment