Sunday, June 26, 2011

End of the Adventure? Hardly

Hey Everyone!

So here I am, sitting back in my home in Minnesota.  It's surreal to be back.  So many emotions have flooded through in the last 48 hours:  sadness to leave Melbourne, joy to see my family, boredom on the longest non-stop flight in the world, content to be at home,  just to name a few.  Amidst all this, I've been doing some reflection of my favorite moments in Oz.  There are so many, but I'll try to stay brief.

Jumping off a sand dune in Fraser Island, the largest all-sand island in the world.



Living at St. Mary's, a home away from home.



Diving on the Great Barrier Reef - twice.



Living in Melbourne, probably my favorite place on Earth.



Traveling along the Great Ocean Road.



Petting Kangaroos in Ballarat



Having my name in an Australian pub for drinking 100 pints of Guinness.



The breathtaking views at Phillip Island.



Making lifelong friends who I'll see when I go back to Oz.



I suppose you may be wondering what I will be doing this summer.  That makes two of us.  I don't have many plans beyond a family vacation to KC and a visit to Chicago to catch up with some UIUC friends.  Hopefully after the jetlag wears off I can find something to occupy my time.

While I can look back and say "that was an incredible adventure!" - which it absolutely was- it's not over yet.  Every experience that I've had has changed me and made me a better person.  I will always take what I learned abroad with me into the future.  Whether I'm back at Illinois or working or doing something else with my life, I'll always have that piece of me that's still in Australia.  The future is bright and I can't wait to see what post-Aussie life holds for me!

Cheers!
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment