Monday, June 13, 2011

How to Speak Australian: Part 2

Hey All!

This week is devoted to studying for my two exams on Friday and next Monday.  Not too much going on but a probable trip to the Great Ocean Road before my time is up.  It's gone by so fast!  Anyway, I figured I should teach you all some more Australian while I'm still over here.

One particular phrase that I am pretty keen on is exactly what I just said.  To say "I'm keen" is equivalent to saying "I'm interested".  While this may be self explanatory, it's not very common in the US.  I'm excited to keep using "keen" in every day speech when I get home.

Another interesting turn of phrase is "sweet as".  A proper way to use it in a sentence is "that is so cool!  That's sweet as!"  In fact, it works more generally as "--- as".  "Cool as", "great as", "keen as", and seemingly any adjective + "as".  I think at one time down the line it was supposed to be comparative, as in "that is sweet as (something really awesome)".  It's just another example of how Australians are lazy with their language.

Finally, sus is an unusual word.  In Australian it has two meanings:  to be suspicious or to go and find something out.  The former would be used "you are being so sus stealing extra toast from the kitchen" whereas the latter would be used "I'll go sus out what's going on over there".  Another peculiarity to people down under.

I realized I haven't mentioned the one word I tend to use the most:  Cheers!  This versatile word has many meanings apart from the obvious act of cheering during drinks:  it's common as a thanks, a sign off, a good-bye, and a word of general good being.   Cheers will definitely be coming home with me to America!

Cheers!
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment